Friday, March 4, 2011

Been awhile

I did not realize it had been so long since I last blogged. Life seems to just fly by. Well the cold has stuck us inside for a while the -35C temps make going outside daunting. The windchill that gets added on top makes me not want to go anywhere at all.

I am trying to take out artificial colours from the boys diets because of the study linking hyperactivity to these colourants. I think there is a difference as slight as it may be. I was trying to figure out what natural colorings are used in Smarties (the chocolate candies for those who live in the states and think they are the rockets). So I checked out the website and didn't find any definite answer and then emailed them to find out. I received an email stating the colourants used and the one that scared me the most was Carmine. Not because it is linked to anything that I know of but because of what Carmine really is. If you like these candies maybe you shouldn't read but here it goes. Carmine is really crushed red beetles. Yep that is right beetles. Ewwwww.

It is natural but I don't know if that makes it any better.

It is crazy what has colour in it. I bought a jar of pickles yesterday without looking at the label and figured it is just pickles well they have tartazine which is a coloring. Crazy. Cake mixes have colour added, chips, choc milk, even some yogurts contain colouring.

So Benjamin likes to pretend to try and take naps sometimes. Right now he is so tired and wants to take a nap. Sounds great to me. He was on the couch but he switched to the chair because as he told me he tooted on the couch and needed to switch to the chair. Oh so funny.

No comments: